Hi, I’m David Shephard, Founder and Creative Director of Matcha Zen Tea and I would like to help you get into the habit of daily meditation. Why? Because the benefits of meditation are legion, and it can make you smarter, healthier and happier. But you don’t have to take my word for it—there are thousands of studies that show the physical and mental benefits of meditation. Here are just a few:
Benefits of Meditation
- People who meditate have lower anxiety and stress levels
- Meditation leads to the thickening of certain areas of the brain which deal with higher cognitive functioning like decision making and concentration
- Meditation appears to slow aging. Those meditating five years or more were 12 years younger than their chronological age
- Meditators were more independent and self-confident
- 75% of insomniacs who started a daily meditation program were able to fall asleep within 20 minutes of going to bed
- The production of the stress hormone, Cortisol, is reduced with meditation, so you are able to deal with stress better
- Meditation decreased the thickness of artery walls which reduces the risk of heart attack or stroke by 8% to 15%
- People who suffer from chronic pain are able to reduce their symptoms
- Meditation reduces blood sugar levels in diabetics
In a study of health insurance statistics, meditators had 87% fewer hospitalizations for heart disease, 55% fewer for benign and malignant tumors, and 30% fewer for infectious diseases. The meditators had more than 50% fewer doctor visits than did non-meditators.
Despite all of these wonderful benefits, you may be struggling to start your own mediation practice, it can be difficult to still your monkey mind. If you find yourself making shopping lists or thinking about your day, you’re not alone…
One way to relax your body and focus your mind is to enjoy a cup of Matcha Tea just before you meditate. It’s a technique that has been used by Zen Buddhist monks for over 900 years, so you know it works!
Matcha tea contains antioxidants catechin and EGCg, so you get all the perks of caffeine without the jitters. Because matcha is shade-grown, it is packed with amino acids like L-theanine which relaxes the body and allows for sharp concentration
Since I’ve been combining my daily practice with matcha tea, I’ve noticed a marked difference in my ability to focus. I’ve improved my concentration and productivity at work and I’ve got more energy too. I really do recommend it!
Another technique I find useful is guided meditation. It helps me to focus and to bring my mind back when it wanders off. So I’ve prepared some guided meditations for you to help you with your practice.
Four ways to listen to our meditations:
- Here’s a link to the Matcha Zen Tea iTunes Podcast
- Our meditations are hosted here Matcha Zen Tea on Soundcloud
- You can Download Matcha Zen Meditations
4. You Can Play Them Right Here
Thank you for sharing my meditation with me. Please share it with your friends, colleagues and family members if you think it will help them to meditate. Try to practice at least once a day to feel all the wonderful benefits that meditation brings to your life.