Makes some sweets for your sweet and get all the love this Valentine’s day. Matcha tea cupcakes are delicious and nutritious so your Valentines knows you care.
This delightful matcha tea cupcake recipe comes to us from Healthy Nibbles and Bits with the buttercream frosting from our own kitchen.
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1½ tablespoon matcha zen tea powder
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup (190g) granulated white sugar
- 4 TBS butter, melted
- 1 cup (240ml) lowfat milk
- ½ cup (110g) lowfat yogurt
- ⅔ cup (110g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of butter
- 3 cups of confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon matcha zen tea powder
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and matcha zen tea powder.
- Mix the egg whites, sugar, butter, milk, and yogurt well (about 2 minutes). Slowly add the flour mixture one heaped tablespoon at a time. Mix well between additions. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tins. Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: Leave butter out until it is at room temperature. In a medium bowl blend the butter and sugar together at low speed until a smooth white frosting forms. Add the matcha zen tea powder and blend until well mixed.