It’s never too cold to enjoy a bowl of delicious matcha tea ice cream. The fresh pallet-cleansing taste of this delicious ice cream is the perfect way to end your dinner. Your matcha tea ice cream will bring all the boys to the yard!
This matcha tea ice cream recipe comes to us from Japanese Cooking 101.
- 2 cups milk (480ml)
- 2 Tbsp matcha green tea powder
- 1 cup heavy cream (240ml)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup and 2 Tbsp sugar (120g)
- Place ice water in a large bowl that can hold a pot. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup of milk and green tea powder, and whisk well (the powder may not dissolve completely). Then add back to the rest of milk (1 3/4 cups) and mix.
- Heat the milk mixture and 1/2 cup of heavy cream at medium heat, and cook until just before boiling.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the rest of the heavy cream (1/2 cup), yolks, and sugar. Add hot milk very slowly to the egg mixture.
- Put egg/milk mixture back to the pot and cook at medium heat stirring constantly until thick (to check the thickness, dip a wood spoon in the egg/milk mixture, and check and see if you can scrape a clear line on the back of the spoon with a finger).
- Place the pot in the ice water and cool. Transfer to a container and chill at least 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Follow the direction of your ice cream machine and mix. Very soft ice cream is done after about 15-20 minutes. Freeze 3 hours before serving.